Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 2, village style.

>
Another night discovering the intricacies of baby jet lag. K's mother brought peppermint tea for Mina but she wasn't having any part of it, then they swung her in a blanket but she thought it was a game and started laughing, which was much better than all the screaming. Eventually everyone slept.

Mina enjoys playing with her grandfather...
In the afternoon, we walked to the garden and ate more figs,gathered fresh almonds and pomegranates. Maybe everyone already knows this but fresh nuts taste completely different, yum.

When we got back k's grandmother was visiting along with a bunch of aunties. Luckily his sister Sofia came too so I stayed in the kitchen and helped with the dishes as much as I could. Guests are not my favorite as they involve a lot of sitting around with the women while everyone discusses me in Zaza. It's actually better when I don't know what they're saying. Kahraman was explaining the earth spinning and rotating the sun causing day and night, everyone listened attentively but I'm not sure that they believed him.

Mina loves being played with and held and everyone in the village is expert at playing with babies. I'm sure they think I'm a complete nut because I've added a whole bunch of things to the list of things Mina can't chew on: candy, chicken bones and cell phones--for some reason phones are a very typical thing to give the babies to chew on? If you're reading this than I've survived without having a heart attack but it seems the chances are slim.
And grandmother (yes, that is one cookie in each hand and I have it on video)

No comments: