Saturday, October 15, 2011

Last day in Alanya

I'm sitting in our hotel 'lobby' which is all open to the air and listening to Kurdish music and the call to prayer with a hot sleeping baby on my chest. We took a long walk this morning before breakfast and then each had half an hour to ourselves--I spent mine collapsed on a beach chair as a human pancake pretending that I wasn't anyone's mother. It was delightful.
Then we collected our laundry which was still damp and smelled like cigarette smoke--I'm told that there are no laundramats here and the laundry doesn't have dryers and apparently the laundry ladys husband smokes, yum.
We went for lunch at the journalists club with a fabulous view of the bay and then drove up to the castle that we've been seeing from our hotel. The castle had a jail in it at some point and k showed me, with obvious relish, where they used to throw the prisoners over the edge of the cliffs into the water. It was breathtaking.
Then we went to a cave at the base of the hill that was equally breathtaking, from moldiness--but the stalactites were amazing--it felt like a cathedral. I keep imagining how gorgeous this must have been with no or fewer people.

No comments: