Wednesday, May 19, 2010

All meat all the time

So last night I ate liver and almost liked it. We met Ks cousin, we
call him "nursey cousin" to distinguish from all the other cousins and
because he is a nurse, and his choice for dinner was either liver
kabobs or kokorec. Kokorec is sheep intestines wrapped around a stick
and grilled so we opted for the liver. The meat came with chopped
tomato and cucumber salad, tomatoey hot sauce, fresh mint and parsley,
roasted tomatoes onions and peppers and raw onions marinated in sumac
with pomegrate molasses as well as thin bread for wrapping the whole
package. The first wrap I made I could barely taste the liver which
was great, the second one the liver was more obvious so for the third
on I skipped the liver entirely which was perfect. Better than sheep
intestines.

Today was a big holiday, Turkish independence day--on Monday I noticed
that the flags hanging around were especially large. There's alot of
flag-displayng here anyways but I was seeing huge, full building flags
everywhere, sometimes multiple flags covering all the windows in a
building, I was happy to get the explanation for this. We missed most
of the festivities however as I collapsed in bed for the day, having
done too much hill walking with very little sleeping the last few
days. K went and did work stuff while I slothed around.
In the evening, we ran into some kind of a vigil/parade sort-of thing
for Ks ex-boss who is still in prison for organizing huge protests
against the government. Everyone in the parade was carrying a torch,
like a flaming real torch. I think it was a little strange for K, the
police were taking photos of everything and the photo of his bosses
face was about 7ft tall, in the photo they had just put it down so
it's not showing.
We came home with strange and delicious desserts. The white one was a
white milky pudding with no sugar in it at all and powdered sugar and
rose water on top. The brown one is my favorite, kazandibi--another
milky pudding but sweet and sticky with chicken in it, I know it
sounds weird and I hope my vegan friends will still speak to me but it
was stunningly delicious.




No comments: