Saturday, May 8, 2010

Early morning

We had a wild ride down many bumpy roads last night to get to the
village. Kahraman's brothers, Deniz and Mahmet picked us up at the
airport--the car was overheating so we got to stop and see a lot of
Diyarbakir on the way. K's parents were waiting for us when we got
here at midnight, they normally sleep around 8pm so everyone is
probably tired today. I think food really does taste better here or
maybe I was just ridiculously hungry and delirious--we had a delicious
post-midnite snack of chicken and rice and salad with pomegranate
dressing, yum.

We woke up this morning with the roosters,
unfortunately, as I could have used a few more weeks of sleep. For
breakfast we had fresh butter, home made yogurt, olives cured in oil
by Emine, K's sister, home made soft cheese with bread and lentil
soup. I am now an official yenge (brothers wife,) so I helped with the
dishes and cleaning.

I carry around my little dictionaries and we can
talk some, however right now even my English is suffering a bit. It's
very quiet and lovely, except for the chickens who are cute but loud.
Baby chicks, called jiv-jiv are everywhere.

No comments: