Friday, May 14, 2010

No photo day

Today was pretty lazy, most of the nutty visiting rush is over
although I think K's mother still made dinner for 20ish people
tonight, including adding 4 people and 2 kids who just showed up right
before we were about to eat.

I lost a lot of farm-kid cred today, K's mother brought me out to help
milk the cows and I couldn't produce a drop of milk--the cow was
pretty obviously relieved when I stopped trying as she was good
natured but seriously considering giving me a kick.

We tried to use the Internet at the school here today as I'm sure some
people are worrying a bit, however while the electricity was working
for most the day the satellite connection wasn't. The other day we sat
in the shade on someones roof drinking coke from little glasses and
looking out at houses made of rocks with yards full of farm animals
and suddenly I noticed a satellite dish on the roof. It might be 7th
century conditions in some ways but technology is moving fast here.
They never got landlines but now everyone has a cell phone.

It's disorienting being so unable to make decisions for myself, I
can't imagine living here as a woman. The woman are quite strong and
assertive and funny and conditions are very hard and yet much easier
that they used to be before electricity and running water. The wheat
is ready to be harvested, in most fields it is sowed with horse or
donkey pulled plows and harvested by hand. Many of the women were
married to men they barely knew/didnt choose when they were around 15.
One woman told me she wants to go to school to learn Turkish and her
husband told her she can't because she's too smart already and he's
afraid he won't be able to compete when they argue, which is kind of
funny or at least we all laughed about it, but really not funny at
all. I think Ks youngest sister will be the first from the village to
go to high school.

No comments: