Sunday, May 9, 2010

So far, theme of trip = not sleeping

I am awake at all the wrong moments and half-asleep when everyone asks
me questions in Turkish--I guess this is jet lag? Discovered today
that my Turkish is completely inadequate for communicating, noted.
Some of the younger aunties were very frustrated with this, the older
aunties don't care since they only speak Zaza and they sit and laugh
and tell lots of jokes. Today might have been the longest day of my
life, family came to visit, lots of family and consequently I spent
alot of time with the women. Kahraman's mother is incredibly kind and
has made me very welcome. And his little sister, Tuba and I exchange
Turkish-English lessons-she is very cute. I took lots of photos of
thistles and aunties and donkeys, much to everyones general amusement.
I had a melt-down at one point over my lacking Turkish but nothing
that couldn't be fixed by dinner. We had a cold yogurt soup with
barley in it that completely blew my mind, I begged to be taught to
make it--hopefully before we leave. Pastoral photos of the country
around the village--I can only post photos from the iPhone until we
get to Istanbul so no thistles and donkeys today.

No comments: